Monday, October 29, 2012

Who Knew The Saints Were Into Yard Work?

On occasion I get all funky and go so far as to think outside the box.

Last week I was having my Bible Study ladies over and I thought to myself, " I think I'll make Beer Bread".  Now to most of you this is nowhere near outside the box (as a matter of fact, it's smack dab right there in the big middle of some of your boxes) but to me (and my life-long Baptist self) it's right up there with a Walk on the Wild Side.

I was feeling practically Episcopalian.

This madness necessitated a trip to the HEB and I was determined to be all casual and calm and lackadaisical about the whole ALCOHOL BUYING EXCURSION so as to not draw attention to myself like I did the year I sat in my car for at least 40 minutes wearing a trench coat and hat waiting for everyone to empty out of the local liquor store so I could run in and buy some bourbon (I think) for some Christmas Candy.

It's a wonder I wasn't arrested for casing the joint.

No. This time I had a plan. A plan which involved also buying some other large items such as a 36- roll pack of toilet paper and a 50 pound bag of dog food which would conveniently shield my beer purchase in my shopping cart.

Just in case I ran into someone I knew.

I didn't want to have to explain the whole beer bread plan to someone before I actually had the pictures and recipe posted to substantiate my claims for the purchase...

In other words, and quite clearly, I have never had a logical thought in my life.

Anyway, I didn't see a soul I knew, and paid for my lame plan when I had to hoist that mondo bag of dog food into the car. I have the pesky habit of making things harder on myself than they need to be.

(In case you hadn't guessed)

If you're interested, though, I ended up buying St. Arnold's Lawnmower beer because I read it was made right here in the Houston area, and besides, it's named for LAWN EQUIPMENT.



And I like to think, personally hand-crafted by a group of landscaping Men of the Cloth.

So, Win-Win.

It would be so great if I had a picture of the final product, but that would have required some thinking and planning on my part. And me and planning are not intimately acquainted so to speak.

Here's what it looks like before it goes in the oven!





























Try the recipe- I think you'll really, really like it!

If you want to get really crazy, throw in a handful of grated very sharp cheddar cheese!


Beer Bread

Lu

(This makes one loaf...)

3 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
3 T. sugar
1 (12 oz.) bottle beer
1 stick butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9X5 in. loaf pan.
In a medium bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
Pour in the beer and mix together just until incorporated.
Pour 1/2 of the melted butter into the pan.
Put the dough into the pan.
Pour the rest of the melted butter on top.
Bake for 50-60 minutes until the top is golden brown.

Best eaten warm!!

Hope you like it!


Lu

No comments: