Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Serve This In Your Fuzzy Socks





























Well not IN your socks, of course. While wearing them I mean.

(But if any of you do decide to serve it in your socks please post it to Pinterest. It will become all the rage)

(!!)

I don't know about you but I've spent a good part of the last month or so with my red carpet rolled out and a hostess gift in hand, just waiting for Cold Crisp Weather (or his reclusive brother Relatively Cool Crisp Weather) to show up.

Oh and also I spent some of my time watching and listening to this a hundred times.






Um.

Basically because Vince Gill could sing harmony with a rock and make it sound good. And also because when I sing into the bathroom mirror with my perfume bottle as a microphone? I sound freakishly like Kelly Clarkson.

I know. Who knew?


But back to the cool weather.

Here's the thing. We've only got a very limited period of time to eat all of the seasonally appropriate foods like soup and stews and other things that raise your body temperature. Things that people up north can eat for months and months without breaking a sweat. I may resent them just a bit.

This chowder is so, so good.

And filling.

And up north-y!

And easy!

And did I mention good?











Cheddar Chicken Corn Chowder
Lu

2 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
2 small bell peppers (any color), chopped
1 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
4 ears of corn, kernels removed
¼-1/3 c. flour
4 cups chicken broth
1 T. Better Than Bouillon (chicken)
2-3 cups heavy cream
3 cups cheese (I use a combination of cheddar and Monterey Jack)
3 cups shredded chicken
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. smoked paprika
½ coarsely ground black pepper

Heat the butter and oil over med. heat then add the bell peppers and the onion and sauté until the onions are just translucent. Add the corn kernels and sauté for about 5 minutes more. Sprinkle the flour in, and stir to evenly coat the mixture. Cook for about 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add the chicken broth and the Better than Bouillon and cook until broth is just slightly boiling. Reduce heat to low and add the heavy cream, cheese, chicken and seasonings.  Cook over very low heat for 20-30 minutes.
Garnish each serving with chopped green onion, chopped pimento, or crumbled bacon.



Don't forget the fuzzy socks!

1 comment:

Beverly Nault said...

It's only 8 AM and I already want a bowl. Thanks for the chuckle and the recipe. Oh! and the tunes. You do serve it up, Lu.